Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring cleaning

It's still *officially* winter here in NH, snow is still on the ground, but the cold days are now interspersed with warmer sunshine and chirping birds. I have my annual spring head cold, so it must soon be spring. And so, time for spring cleaning, of sorts.

This year, it involves emotional cleansing. Detox, cleanse, purify.

I am dealing with two very painful matters right now, and I'm proud to say I took a hard-line stance on both. One, a professional matter from graduate school in which my work was published without my knowledge. I took steps to remain professional and yet I put my foot down. The other, I managed my first true "break-up" of sorts in pure civility. It hurts really badly. But it was the most humane thing I could have done.

While I am proud I took these steps, and I stand by my decisions, it does not make the detox process any less painful. Kinda like drinking some awful smoothie made of raw green vegetables and some unmentionable liquids. You know it's gonna wipe out everything in your system, and it's gonna totally be miserable, but it'll clean everything out and allow you to improve faster.

Life isn't all donuts and coffee, unfortunately.

No comments: