Friday, May 1, 2009

My top 10 goals for the year

I'm feeling a little all-over-the-map right now, so I've decided to set a list of 10 goals for the year.

1) Become more proficient on banjo equally in bluegrass and clawhammer styles
status: working on both each evening; just ordered a book/dvd combo on
clawhammer; will get higher bridge put on banjo for easier playing very soon,
attend monthly jams.

2) Garden veggies, herbs, and some pretty plants this year
status: already started the seeds and cleared out the spot next to my front steps for the
the pretty stuff.

3) Learn to can food/veggies that I've grown
status: just ordered a book on how to can, plus recipes, etc.

4) Attend an old-time music festival, hopefully somewhere further south, perhaps
combine that with a trip to see Aunt Arlene and my friend Steph?
status: nothing yet, need to work on research for it.

5) Contra dance more often
status: haven't gone since the folk school, need to work on this!

6) Improve knitting skills
status: about to start my first cable-knit hat.

7) Sew at least three items
status: have two sundresses, one skirt and a quilt pattern ready to start whenever I
get a spare few weekends; also would like to make pajama pants.

8) Make progress on my book
status: *sigh* I haven't worked on this in forever, time to get jump-started on it.

9) Make bread from scratch
status: why haven't I started this yet? Maybe this weekend I'll attempt focaccia..

10) Practice my singing!
status: I've realized how important this is to accompany my banjo music, so I've been
singing a lot in the car, belting out Dixie Chicks tunes, etc., to strengthen my
weak and out-of-practice vocal chords; I'll never be like Alison Krauss, but it
would be nice to express my own singing style in public without total
embarrassment.

Excellent!

No comments: