Friday, March 12, 2010

Day #15, time to chill out

Oh...my...goodness...gracious...

I am so sore from yesterday's three-hour tramp. It's winter at home and so I haven't climbed anything resembling more than a hill in about four months (unless you consider level 3 on the treadmill to be "hill climbing"--ummm, yeah, I don't think that counts). Snowshoeing requires different muscles if you're a beginner like me. And so, I am sore. Which means today is a lovely day to walk around Opunake and take it easy!

Amie and Chris had to work (it's a Friday) but I had time to sleep in, enjoy a flat white at this great little coffee shop in town (they have a patio out back, sweet as!), relax. After sending postcards, buying a cute top at the surf shop, and going for a jog along the cliffs next to the ocean, I went to Amie's school for some after-work socializing (i.e., boozing it up at 4 on an empty stomach).

Her co-workers are amazingly friendly (hey, I live in New England--we aren't openly friendly to most folks, I think the cold has something to do with that). The school principal and I chatted over wine about marine science and commercial fisheries issues that plague NZ. Aaahhh, time to unleash my nerd...

The evening brought some friends to Amie and Chris' place, so more wine and the eternal presence of tortilla chips and guacamole along with laughter and good conversation. It was great to chat with one of my best gal pals whom I miss terribly (Amie, when are you moving back?!) and get to know her fiancee Chris better (Chris and I apparently enjoy debating various issues--and we are good at agreeing to disagree). No photos from today because it was a day to relax and gear up for tomorrow, our big day with surf potential and a little something they like to call Dam Dropping. More on that soon!

No comments: