Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day #4, Piha

When I woke up, I had actually hoped to wake up in clammy sheets to indicate that my fever had broken during the night. No such luck. Still felt crummy. The day was another bright and sunny adventure, so we popped into the downtown of Warkworth and I grabbed some medicine (which never did help) and Wen booked a flight from Christchurch to Auckland to allow us more time down south. Thanks Wendy!!!

Anyway. We drove east of Auckland on a very tiny, windy road to Piha beach. As we drove in the suburbs of Auckland, it looked like the photos I've seen of homes in the Hollywood Hills: hip and chic, perched on a very steep hill, lush vegetation. The homes finally disappeared and we were in rainforest wilderness. Finally meandered our way to the ocean and POP! there was Piha!! A total jewel of a town. A surf town completely devoid of commercialization. *SCRMW Amazing views of blue waters, Lion Rock, black sand. We got fish sandwiches and chips from the seaside takeaway place and enjoyed our very tasty food (best chips in NZ, I promise) while enjoying the oh-so-hot sun and fantastic views.




The gray clouds blew over the mountains, threatening rain in between the midday sun rays. I would love to own a "summer" home here once I become a better surfer (note to self: need to start surfing again; preferably in larger waves once I am comfortable with that). Oh gorgeous Piha! Lovely. *sigh* How I loved that town.



No comments: