Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day #17, Tongaporutu

Low tide in the region is at 9:30 a.m. today and I had to drive about two hours to get there. Where? I had read about these terrific rock formations further north on the west coast but it is imperative visitors get there at low tide. Thanks once again to the numerous !!!! in the description for this place, Wendy's handy dandy travel guide by Scott Cook steered me towards Tongaporutu and the Three Sisters.

I was hoping Amie and Chris might come with me but they decided to stick around Opunake for the day. I said my goodbyes and sadly drove away. That homesick feeling started to creep back in again, even though I knew I'd be home soon and should enjoy the remaining time in NZ. It was a gorgeous morning!! Plenty of sunshine and time to explore again.

I arrived about 1.5 hours after low tide, which meant I had to hurry to see everything before the water rushed in and then would be unable to get past it to see the gorgeous sights!! A small parking lot, complete with plenty of freedom campers and day-trippers, was the gateway to some supposedly way-cool rocks along the sea. I hopped out and picked my way out to the stretch of beach already filling up with a tidal river.


I hugged the colored layers of rock on my left and sloshed through knee-high saltwater, continuing towards the ocean. Black sand and rock caves would be submerged soon.

The site originally had three tall rocks jutting out of the sand and the ocean, dubbed the Three Sisters. One rock has recently fallen and so they are down to a pair.

Gigantic rock arches decorated the beach for as far as I could see, and I ran and frolicked on the sand, hoping to take it all in before the tide washed me out to sea.


This is a place where you let go and allow childlike exuberance to fill you up. I felt so playful and free here for some reason, and with very few people around, it was easy to feel like I was the only gal on some remote stretch of land.

What an amazing area! I desperately wanted to keep exploring further to see more, but that tide comes in so quickly here...*sigh* As I walked back, I saw a huge wrack line of driftwood, more caves and flourescent green algae.

Time for a quick pb&j and an apple and more driving north to my destination...

No comments: