Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day #3, Waipoua Forest

After our cave adventures, we grabbed a pb&j from the back of the mighty campervan and drove across to the western side of the peninsula. The landscape changed dramatically to more of the subtropical climate, very green and lush.


More windy roads and we were headed to the land of the Kauri trees (similar to a redwood, but cooler!) in the Waipoua Forest. The largest tree, named Tane Mahuta ("Lord of the Forest" in native Maori language) was protected by a fence. It measured 13.77 m across--larger than the General Sherman in California--and is more than 2,000 years old!! *SCRMW


I had been coughing for a few days, which I attributed to allergies from strange NZ pollen...but suddenly, as we were walking around, I was starting to not feel so good. I felt really cold and I knew it was nice and warm out...uh oh. Fever coming on? In any case, I tried to ignore it as best I could and focus on the awesome trees! We did a few other hikes *SCRMW to other Kauri trees, including the Four Sisters, Cathedral Grove--which really felt like worship, tall Kauri at the pulpit, the rest of the lush green vegetation nearby, warm sunlight suffused. We hiked to the 7th largest Kauri, "Yakas." I have always been called a treehugger, and finally we have physical evidence of it!


Also, the very cool koru fern, which symbolizes new life, new beginnings, a fresh start, etc. etc. Very cool! And so soft and furry, strangely enough. Kinda like a plant muppet.


Wendy took the wheel south, searching for gas (yikes, everything closes so early in this country!), found a nice local elderly man to show us exactly how to open the gas cap (geez, I feel really stupid) and gassed up. Onward south, we drove into the dark, me not feeling too well and Wendy made the executive decision (an excellent one) to stay at a motel due to my fever. I awoke to see the night sky full, I mean loaded, with stars. I told Wen she had to pull over and check it out (plus, hey, I kinda needed to pee, and it was dark so no one would see). I have never in my life seen so many stars, and I've been to western Maine where there is zero light pollution. Millions of stars, some brighter than others, the milky way arms, a full carpet of stars. No light pollution in Northland!

We ended up in Warkworth at a strange motel but it felt good to lay down on a bed and rest my weary bones. Lots of driving plus my fever and I was beat. Sleepy time...


No comments: